Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Capturing the Night



A bit of a delayed blog!

I had been waiting for the right opportunity to get a good skyline shot of Sydney at night for some time - largely due to logistics (finding the time and transport to get to a good spot!) In this case i was at Taronga Zoo doing their Roar and Snore experience.

The evenening session @ Roar & Snore was a night tour of the zoo and once this was complete my opportunity came! It was absolutely pouring it down with rain, but i had come this far so this didnt stop me!! With the rain still pouring, Kat and myself headed to the Bird of Prey amphitheatre with one of the Roar and Snore tour guides, i set up shot under a carefully placed umbrella and the fun began!

The location provided an amazing view of the city and the pouring rain didnt dampen my spirits, quite the opposite in fact; it provided some amazing effects, from the rippling on the harbour and the reflection of the city light to the misty haze surrounding the city. These effects all came together to provide an amazing shot of the Sydney Skyline and one of my favorite shots to date - not to mention my first night image & first use of my tripod, which i will add was very exciting! And the end result?

Sydney by night - 1

After taking a dozen photo's this was deemed the best in terms of composition, sharpness and exposure. However by looking at how each of the other images came out i understood more about the complexities of shooting at night. However i was truly satisfied with the end result and look forward to the next opportunity i get to do some night time photography!

This second shot is also in my flickr set and is one of the other shots i chose to process;

Sydney by night - 2


AD

No comments:

Post a Comment